This article has an easy-to-use installation guide for plugins that block certain programs known as trackers from running in your browser.
We strongly recommend that you read this previous article about trackers before deciding whether or not to install these plugins. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any of these plugins. They are written by third-party software providers and are generally free of charge. Use them at your own risk.
Thanks to Mike B., who did the testing, most of the research and contributed to this article.
To install GhosteryWarning: At the time of this writing, Ghostery only has partial detection support in Internet Explorer. Not all elements will be detected, but any detected element can be blocked.
- Go to http://www.ghostery.com/download and select "Download Ghostery for Internet Explorer now!"
- At the bottom of your page, a little warning saying "Only secure content is displayed" should show up. Click on "Show all content".
- At the bottom of your page, a warning saying "This website wants to install the following add-on: 'Ghostery IE Plugin ActiveX Installer'. Click on Install.
- In the center of your screen, Internet Explorer will display a security warning. Click on "Install".
- Click on "OK", and restart Internet Explorer.
- By default, Ghostery will not block anything. Underneath your URL Bar, there should now be a new little blue ghost icon. Click on it, and select Options.
- Go to the "Blocking" tab, and check the "Enable web bug blocking" box. Then, click on "Select all". Click OK.
Internet Explorer is a registered trademark of the Microsoft Corporation. Ghostery may be a trademark and/or registered trademark of its owner. Use of these and other trademarks does not imply any endorsement by their respective owners.