In his recent blog post about cloud computing, , Rich Cocchiara, an IBM Distinguished Engineer, makes the case that the Cloud is no longer just desirable for many businesses, but has become part of their essential "emergency kit" by protecting data far offsite.
He also discusses how the Cloud is the ultimate risk-management tool as it lets companies recover from disasters in minutes, rather than hours.
Finally, he provides some tips for disaster preparedness, including:
- Consider your Service Level Agreement
- Validate your data backup plan
- Develop various ways to communicate with employees, partners
- Think about the “domino effect” when considering business risk
- Plan for catastrophic events that could last a while