EBCDIC Data Conversion Services
Although the EBCDIC conversion packages include detailed documentation on how to create the .LAY data layout file which controls the conversion, many customers prefer to contract us to create the .LAY file(s) for them. This is especially true with more complicated EBCDIC files which require the Level-3 or Level-4 conversion package.
This is a convenient service if you are not familiar with EBCDIC files and COBOL "copy-books" or prefer to delegate. In this case, we convert your first file(s) and give you the tools to easily convert additional files yourself. We also supply a custom batch file to fully automate the conversion. We provide very fast turn-around, typically one business day for a typical 5-hour contract job.
Here are the simple steps involved in getting a turn-key solution from us.
- You supply us with the file specification and preferably a sample file. Ideally, the file specifications are in the form of a COBOL "copy-book" which you e-mail to us. If you only have the file specs in printed form, they can be faxed to us at (734) 996-1308. "Zip" up the sample file(s), any file specs, and e-mail them to email@example.com
- After thoroughly examining your layout and sample file, we will e-mail you a quotation for the cost of the conversion software and our estimated time to create a custom .LAY data layout file. We charge $125/hour for this work and are very proficient at it. We prefer to at least briefly discuss the job with you on the telephone. We typically reply with the quotation within 3 hours of receiving your files.
- You place your order. We are happy to accept Purchase Orders with Net-30 terms from companies with 100 or more employees and any government organization. For smaller companies, we kindly request payment by Credit Card.
- We create the custom .LAY layout file, convert your sample file and carefully check the converted ASCII file. We also create a simple batch file to help you automate the conversion. Occasionally, we modify the conversion software to better handle your files.
- When completed, we e-mail you all the software, the custom .LAY and batch files and the converted ASCII file. You can then immediately start converting your own files.
We provide very personal service and support to ensure that you get your files converted. (And a money-back guarantee if VEDIT cannot convert your files.)
We often spend an hour (and sometimes more) studying your file specifications and sample file in order to give you an accurate estimate for the cost of the contact work. However, the estimate assumes that your supplied file layout specification matches the actual data file. If, after starting the job, we find undocumented fields, record types, possibly corrupted data or other problems which require additional work, we will immediately contact you to discuss the problem and give you an estimate for the additional cost. If you do not agree to the additional cost, we simply cancel the project and you will not be charged for the work already done.
Custom conversions - We are also very proficient in creating custom solutions for converting unusual (e.g. non-COBOL) EBCDIC and binary files into ASCII. Examples include the binary/EBCDIC output from telephone switches.